Arkansas Traveller 100 (2019/10/5) (My Hundo Debut!)

My race bib at Arkansas Traveller: #160


This was my 100-mile debut.

I had what I thought were ambitious but obtainable goals. Namely, finishing under 20 hours. But I was going to be happy with 22. I didn't know how ambitious to be. I mean, I'd never run 100 miles before. Was it better to be cautious? Hopefully optimistic?

I arrived Friday afternoon for weigh in and to pick up race materials. After the pre-race meeting, with the excellent advice, "Don't be a dumbass!" (too late), I met NWA friends (Cassie, Lisa, Lauren, Mark, and Josiah) for dinner and headed back to my hotel to shower, prep, and sleep.

(Photographer: Cassie Brown)

The race started off well enough. It was dark and cool, paved and downhill. I was moving a bit faster than I had planned, but friends (past AT finishers) told me that I should try to position myself toward the front before arriving at the single track, so I wasn't too concerned. Eventually we moved off the pavement and onto a dirt road: much more my style.

While on the dirt road but before the single track, Lauren (NWA friend and regular running buddy) caught up with the little pack I was running with. That worried me a bit. Her goal time was two hours slower than mine, so... Was I moving too slowly? Was Lauren moving too quickly?

Flatside Pinnacle (8.6 mi) was our entry point for the single track of the Ouachita Trail. Up to that point, I hadn't felt so good for most of the race. I didn't feel bad, but I didn't feel good either. Though truth be told, that seems like a pattern for me. The single track gave me a lift, however. Emotionally, at least.

I had a lot of fun on the Ouachita Trail: hopping over rocks and roots, passing runners who were... more cautious than I am on technical terrain, loving the downhills that I've been practicing. I talked with a guy named Tyler from Memphis for a few miles before leaving him behind. Things felt like they were clicking.

Then the first two of my challenges hit. Literally.

Just before mile 13 something stung or bit my left hamstring, just below my butt. I have no clue what it was; I just grabbed some creature and threw it off me. It hurt quite a bit (and still gives me itching fits days later), but I figured if it were poisonous, I'd know soon enough. The pain stayed with me on and off throughout the day.

At mile 15, I fell amidst rocks. I banged my left knee pretty hard, and that pain has stayed with me ever since. Initially more concerning, however, was the pain in my hip flexor/pelvis. I still don't know what happened, whether I fell on a rock or hyperflexed the tissue, but at first, I couldn't move my leg forward. I started walking, trying to get it to loosen up, wondering if this was going to be the end of my day. As it started to loosen, I began running, and I made my way into Lake Sylvia looking OK, but with lots of doubt.

Lake Sylvia Aid Station: Erich Restocking My Belt .Can you see the red left knee?
(Photographer: Cassie Brown)

I first saw crew at Lake Sylvia (16.4). In fact, this was my first stop of the morning. I intentionally skipped the previous aid stations, having taken enough fluid and food to get me by until Lake Sylvia. I didn't say anything about my possible injury to the crew; I just let Erich and Greg swap my food, add Tailwind to my bottles, and spray me down with more bug spray. I drank down some Ensure, and just like that, I was back on the dirt road on my way to Winona, chomping on a few fig newtons.

I don't recall a lot of the next 15 miles. The roads and paths went up and down. I hiked and I ran. My stomach didn't feel great, either, but that's not uncommon. I may have grabbed a few things at an aid station or two, but I had enough calories with me, so I mostly kept moving. The temperature was still relatively low, so I wasn't running out of water too quickly. Mostly I was focused on the fact that my knee wasn't playing nice, but the pain wasn't getting worse.

Winona Aid Station: Getting Some Tailwind Refills
(Photographer: Cassie Brown)

Cruising into Winona (30.9), I met crew again. This time was basically the same process, but I told them about the knee. It wasn't going to stop me yet, but I wanted them to be aware. I drank Ensure, I grabbed some fruit from the aid station table, and set back out.

Not too far up the road, I settled in with another runner. Eventually two other runners caught up to us. My stomach wasn't feeling so great. When time came to pop another S-Cap at about mile 33.5, the pill somehow got partially lodged in my throat and tripped my gag reflex. I spent much of the next two minutes alternately hiking and puking on the side of the road while the other three pressed on ahead.

After vomiting, I don’t recall all that much about the trip up to Powerline. The uphills were pretty relentless, but even hiking a lot I passed a few people. I grabbed some potatoes and ice water at Pigtrail (36.1), I think. Next up was Club Flamingo (39.4). I think I started back on my Spring Energy packets about a mile out. Shane, a runner I met at Syllamo in March, was a volunteer at Club Flamingo. He hooked me up with some ice water and iced Gatorade, or maybe it was a Spring Energy electrolyte packet (with ginger). I don’t recall. Then it was up to Bahama Mama (43.2), where I got more iced fluids and saw Dan Arnold, the 2018 winner, chilling in the shade after having suffered a hamstring injury.



It's only 4.8 miles from Bahama Mama to Powerline, but it was a hard stretch. First was a pretty steep section to get up and over the top of Smith mountain. Then there was a grassy section that looked like nice running, but had an undulating quality that made it feel more like a good section bikes. This section also struck me as quite exposed. Or maybe it was just hot. Either way, I felt hot. Perhaps a mile from Powerline, in a wooded but not dense area, I put my water bottles down next to the trail (and pointing in the direction I was running) and went off trail to "do some business". Stomach felt a bit better after that.

Finally I arrived at Powerline (48.0).

I was a half hour behind my pre-race plan, but still within my pace range. I was so relieved to see my full crew and my first pacer: Pete. I ditched my shirt and drank some Ensure and Coke while others grabbed my trash and resupplied my belt with Spring Energy packets. Someone handed me part of a sandwich, which I ate as best I could while Pete and I set off.

The section from Powerline to Turnaround (57.9) and back to Powerline (67.9) is fun. There's only one significant climb. Also, because it's close to the turnaround, you get to see the people in front of you before Turnaround, and those in back of you after. Pete and I started occasionally picking off runners as we alternated hiking and running. None passed us back. Going into Turnaround, I was aware that we hadn't seen so many people coming back, which was surprising, but I was focused on time, not position, so I didn't pay it much mind.

I hate the hike into Turnaround. We still kept a good pace, but by the time we got to the top, Pete and the aid station workers could tell I was running hot. We took more time at this aid station than I had at any previous station. The workers there were amazing and obviously very experienced. They filled my hat with ice, which felt great (and honestly not very cold) on my head while Pete grabbed some ice and rubbed down my shoulders, arms, and back. Oh, that ice hit the spot.

Starting back down, I quickly knew I wasn't going to be able to run down the hill. Whether from standing too long or the steepness, my knee started locking up a bit, making hiking my only option. Toward the bottom of the hill everything seemed fine again, and Pete and I set off.

Two miles out from Turnaround, Pete and I ran into Lauren and her pacer (Lisa). We said some quick hellos and good lucks. I was shocked and very impressed by how well Lauren was moving, being only 4 miles behind me after 60 miles.

Starting about here, it was noticeable that I was getting a bit more comfortable and that I was moving better. Pete said my attitude started to lighten. Because the weather was getting cooler as the sun was setting? Because the ice had done its work? Because I was getting a second (or third or or fourth....) wind? I have no idea, but at the next aid station, I tried another hat of ice and found it way too cold, so I dumped it. Nevertheless, we continued to move and picked off another runner or two.

The full crew back at Powerline. From left: Erich, me (looking crooked), Pete, and Bradley.
(Photographer: Greg Sisengrath)

Back at Powerline, I was still about 30 minutes behind schedule, but that meant I ran that section at exactly the pace I had planned! And we made it back before dark, which was also part of the plan. Pete did his job.

It was time to drop Pete and pick up Erich, who’d run the final 32.4 miles with me to the finish. We did the usual crew point stuff: Ensure, Coke, and replacing Spring Energy packets. I replaced my sweaty hat with a buff, now that the sun wasn't overhead, and threw on a headlamp. Greg, a friend crewing other runners, snapped a picture, and then Erich and I were off.

I told Erich that I might need to walk a good portion of the time back to Bahama Mama, but in just a short time, we'd settled into a good rhythm. Erich told me I was probably in 8th or 9th place, but I reiterated that I really wasn't focused on placement. I don't recall much else about this section except  filling Erich in on what had happened to this point.

Erich and I worked out a system that worked pretty well for us all night. Coming into aid stations, Erich would take my handhelds ahead and start filling them before I arrived. Arriving, I’d maybe grab a piece of banana or a cup of ginger ale, and then I’d grab a bottle and head out while Erich was still refilling his own, and sometimes even one of mine. Then Erich would play catch-up. Erich worked hard, and the system was effective.

We worked our way through Bahama Mama (72.6) and on to Club Flamingo (76.4). It was a good hike up to Club Flamingo, but it was fun to see Shane again, still volunteering. This is where Erich and I passed another runner. We were at the aid station at the same time, and he left just before us. I caught him hiking, and he remarked, "My quads are trashed."

I responded, "Mine are sore, but they're doing all right." I recounted this to Erich once he caught up and we put a pit of distance between ourselves and that runner. This was when I also realized how much my vert training was probably helping me, and when I realized the truth in a pre-race comment by my friend, and occasional running buddy, Rolfe, "Your training is going to help you at mile 70, not mile 2. And at mile 70, you're going to wish your legs felt sluggish, but you will be able to run anyway." True words.

We ran through Pig Trail (79.7) and made our way to Winona. I was relieved knowing that the hills I remember climbing out of Winona would be downhills going back. Erich remarked how well I was running downhills, and I told him it felt like running down KMR. A few miles from Winona we passed another runner that I recognized. I told Erich, "He passed me about the time I threw up." Then I added, "Come to think of it, that was right about here." It's funny what you remember on an out-an-back.

We hit Winona (84.9). A crew spot. Bradley was ready. Erich set out to refill my bottles with water and Coke,which was all I was drinking at this point. I told Bradley to give me every caffeinated Spring Energy I had left. Then I took off. When Erich caught up, he told me that Bradley was shocked how quickly I'd arrived, and even more shocked that I just up and left so quickly. He also said I was in 5th place. I reiterated that I didn't care. (But I think I was starting to.)

It was a longer, mostly uphill stretch to Electronic Tower (91.2). Was it here where I was really into the music? I think so. I complimented the volunteers on the music. (It was seriously good, even if I have no memory of what it was.) Then we pushed on to Pumpkin Patch.

It's here where I lose track of things a bit. At some point between here and the finish, I stepped in mud from Friday's rain storm. In the just-after-midnight darkness, thinking it was a firm patch between puddles, my left shoe sank completely into the mud and on the next stride was ripped off my foot. That foot ended up covered in mud. Erich went back and pulled the shoe out. He helped me get it back on; I didn't even wipe off the foot. I told him my shoes were already so full of grit that the mud wouldn't make a difference. (And it didn't. Good work XOTOES!)  It was after this that I remember remarking about my left ankle aching. I'm not 100% positive this is what hurt my ankle, but it definitely swelled up later, and it's still aching now, more than a week later.

Running into Pumpkin Patch (93.7), I told Erich my plan. I told him that I had plenty of water and plenty of calories to get me to the finish. I just wanted some Coke. He went ahead to fill my Coke bottle, and I went right through the aid station without stopping. I was going to get this thing DONE.

Once Erich caught back up, I decided it was time for one last S-Cap, just in case. I went to swallow and... Somehow it went UP! Into my nasal cavity! Immediate gagging and wretching ensued. There was nothing Erich could do but wait it out.

It was then that we saw a headlamp coming down the trail. I don't know if I said anything, but in my head I was thinking, "Well, there goes not getting passed. And now I'm back to 6th." He ran by as I was trying to start moving but kept gagging. Not too much later (though it felt like a long time), I was able to go again. The pill didn't actually come down for a few minutes after we started running, and what relief that was. Erich and I kept pressing on. I hoped to catch the runner in front of us, but he was moving so well when he passed us, that I doubted it would be possible.

We pushed pretty hard in that section. I was ready to get off the jeep trail and onto a smooth surface. For two reasons. One: easy running. Two, my headlamp was dying and I did not want to stop to get my backup. I let Erich know that I needed him to go in front of me in the narrow sections because I was almost dependent on his headlamp. When he was behind me, the shadow was too strong. We never completely lost sight of the runner in front of us, but we didn't seem to be catching up either.

When we arrived at Crossroads (97.8), 2.5 miles from the finish, I looked at the time on my watch, and realized my goal (sub-20) was easily within reach. Erich and I ran that dirt-road downhill hard. Well, hard for having run 98 miles. We were well under 9 min pace. (My Strava says we had an 8:38 mile in there.) When we got to pavement, we again saw the light of the runner in front of us, by this time, simply too far to be caught. But I was almost done!

I passed by some friends on the road in (Cassie, Mark, and Josiah). That was wonderful! Then it was down to the finish!

(Photographer: Bradley Wilson)

19:42:29.


That was my official time.

Nearly 18 minutes below my more ambitious goal.

The runner that outpaced me at the end was named Trevor. He's a good runner. He congratulated me not long after I finished (and not long after he'd finished), and told me that I really made him work in that last 10K. That was nice to hear, in a competitive kind of way.

Here are some interesting stats:

  • The first 50 miles were completed in approximately 9:49. The last 50.3 miles, approximately 9:51:30. I ran almost even splits.... in my first hundo. When you figure in the extra 0.3... Maybe negative splits!
  • Trevor ran 9:40:21. Just two minutes faster. At mile 52, he was a full 60 minutes ahead of me. That's how much time I made up.
Oh, and my position: 5th place.



How?


So,... Trevor passed me while I was gagging on that S-Cap in my nasal passage... unbeknownst to me, I'd passed him when I went straight through Pumpkin Patch. I hadn't even noticed. I had been in 4th place.

It irks me a bit that I may have lost 3rd place male finisher due to an errant S-Cap. I still may not have outdueled Trevor, but it could have made for a fun race at the end. You should totally read his experience of that last 10K. He's a much better storyteller than I am.

To Conclude

Two post-race quotes:
  • This is not a hill-less course.
  • This course was not un-difficult.
It's been a week. I'm still recovering. Not from the running; my muscles and joints feel fine. Rather, from the mishaps: the fall at mile 15, and the mud incident near the end. My knee seems to be fine, though still a bit sensitive to pressure in places. My ankle is still a problem. And though it's not painful, there's a weird bulge from my hip flexor. I'm scheduled to see my PT tomorrow (Monday) morning.

I also caught a stomach bug, probably from my daughter who was sick when I got back from the race. We have similar symptoms, and my immune system was likely a bit depleted.

I also have the 100 bug. When I finished the Bandera 100K in January, I said I was done for a while. That obviously didn't last so long, as I was signed up for Traveller by March. Still, I wasn't ready for anything long for a while. This time, I'm ready to go. I wish I had something lined up for spring besides (hopefully) Syllamo.

Lessons learned (subject to additions):
  • Train well. In those last miles, it was clear that my training was at work getting me through.
  • Have a race plan and try to stick to it. I had to work for this finish, but not going out too hard was certainly helpful. Perhaps the stomach issues were a blessing in disguise. Of course,... perhaps I could've gone lower.
  • Have a  great crew. It makes a WORLD of difference! I can't say enough about how much I appreciate what Bradley, Erich, and Pete did!
  • Don't say quit. I don't generally have this problem, but the fall... the vomiting... I had to remind myself that this was par for the course. I would run unless or until I couldn't.
Gear:
Shoes: Topo Athletic Terraventure
Socks: XOSkin XOTOES
Shorts: XOSkin 4.0 Max Compression Shorts
Belt: Naked Running Band
Hat: Headsweats Race Hat
Primary Nutrition: Spring Energy (And the roasted potatoes at aid stations were amazing!)
Primary Hydration: Tailwind Endurance Fuel, Coca-Cola





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chuck Norris Challenge (Part 1)

The New Running Reality: 2020

Chuck Norris Challenge (Part 2)